Tuesday, February 28, 2012

From Start to Finish: The Journey Through A Project

I have recently blogged about our FedEx Day project, a project that is completely student based.  It is up to the students to get their ideas for the project, complete it in the time allowed, and present it to the class.  There are very few rules that go along with the project, and it is an adventure that is worth taking.

This sort of project really allows for students such as myself to look into the world and see things in a new way.  We aren't just being spoon fed the information.  This allows for the discoveries to stick much better.  With little help from the teacher, each student is truly in charge of their own learning, something that they in turn will be able to extend that knowledge to the rest of their class, and even their teacher(s).

Mr. Stumpenhorst, a teacher from Chicago, IL, took to his 6th grade class rooms with the same concept. With the rest of the teachers in his wing of the building, Mr. Stump took a step out of the normal ritual of preaching. And the end result? Nothing but positive and exciting feedback. His students truly enjoyed the experience, most of the time going above and beyond that anyone thought they would be doing. The administration from his building even swung by, along with other teachers from around the building, to see, help, and learn about the different things that the students were doing. Very rarely do you see such and interest from a lot of people like. It isn't very often that a teacher will willingly give up their few moments of free time to go to see what else is going. That may have just been the start of an endless tradition. We will just have to continue to watch.

Anyway, lets take it home for a second. To my smallish classroom in North Eastern/Central Pennsylvania, where the coal mines cover the land. There are some many things that we as a small community have not seen. So many things that we don't know about the world. There is a lot of information out there that, because of our small town ways, seems to by pass us. So many people around these parts seems oblivious to the world around us. But one woman, Ms. Suzie Nestico (my 5th period Principles of Democracy and 8th period 21st Century Global Studies teacher), has managed to break through that barrier that surrounds us and is bringing the cows back home.

She is the woman that has brought this concept to us. And if I may, I would like to thank her now. This project is allowing everyone to truly spread their wings and find the right winds that fit them. I personally have chosen to look into the meat industry, a topic that has haunted me for many years, and am in the process of filming, editing, and presenting a documentary on it. Now, it isn't one of those videos that you'll find that are against easting meat, although I personally don't. I am shooting from an angle that I hope will encourage people to step up and demand higher standards and laws when it comes to the meat industry.

Through the course of the work, we will see how much each student learns. Through the power of being in charge, more and more students are going to be interested, wanting to work harder, learning more. I hope that everyone else in my class will enjoy this project as much as I am.

I will be sharing a few of the projects that others are doing in the future, and hopefully I can get a few comments from them about their journey through it. Good luck guys!

1 comment:

  1. Wow! Thanks, Kyle! The part I absolutely LOVE is that you are planning to feature other classmates' work! That is most excellent! I am glad you are learning a lot. I think that by the time we conclude this project (although, in reality, there won't be a definitive conclusion in the real world as you all continue to work toward your causes), we will ALL have learned a lot... not from me, but truly from each other. You all teach me new things each day and for that I am grateful. Thanks for your efforts in this and everything you do. Excited to see the finished product.
    Ms. Nestico

    ReplyDelete