Tuesday, March 27, 2012

My Walk With Kony

From the day that Kony 2012 was published onto YouTube, I was following it like a plague. It captured me and held me close. The thoughts that there was a man out there, doing horrible things to children truly made my blood boil. And I wanted to do something right away.

But over the pat few weeks, I made several blog post based on my findings. The researched ranged from the LRA to the Ugandan government and from the Invisible Children to those the critique their works. I have been held into a slightly falsified situation, one that has been stretched to make hearts break by those who weren't 100% honest.

Below is a list of those posts that I have made, my journey with Kony:

1. MAKE KONY FAMOUS!!!

2. Action Through Knowledge

3. Snap To Decisions

I want to thank the Invisible Children. They taught me so much. First, they taught me what not to do when working on a cause. I learned that instead of rushing right into making a decision. That is the worst thing that you can do. You need to take the time to look into the truth behind a cause.  Just because a group of people got together and presented you with a bit of information doesn't mean that you know enough. They are giving you some information, all of that has been learned and repeated to you in a way that is based on their own personal feelings about the situation. One of the most important things that you need to do is form your own ideals. You need to know where you lie in with the situation. Don't let someone else spoon feed you. You won't learn a thing that way. Through researching, processing, and utilizing information is the only way that you will truly learn something.

Second, they informed me about a situation. The things that are going on in Uganda are truly horrible. And the saddest part about it is that very few people knew anything about it. I know I personally was completely unaware. But with the release of the Kony 2012 video, information was spread far and wide. But, their video was seriously lack quite a bit of information. The biggest thing that was missing was what's going on right now in the area. We were mislead about the present. Another that was missing was an actual plan of attack. How are we supposed to go about bringing down and capturing Kony? They got so many people ready to do something, but they left out the actual plans. So now we have a bunch of teens that are willing to put in time, but now they are left alone, standing on the side, waiting for the next order of business.

There was a lot of things that Kony 2012 did right. But along with that, there were even more that went wrong. We need to learn how to research information before hopping on board with something. I learned this information the hard way. I, like so many people, was ready to hop and rush into acting upon the request of the Invisible Children. I'm glad that I took the time to find out for myself what was really going on. I just hop that many other people also take the time to learn for themselves what going on.



Research

Make sure that you do look well into the things going on. Don't simply accept the information that you are presented from other people. If there is something out there that you feel you need to or want to be apart of, get your own information. Look at several sources. One source is an introduction. The second is a briefing. Any other source after that is when you will truly begin to learn.


Recollect

Think about the thing that you have read. This may be the most crucial part. You need to come to your own decisions. This is when you will find out how you truly feel about the situation. At this point is the moment that you will know if the cause is worth fighting for or not.   Take your time, think it through, and make sure that you can enjoy and work through the choices you are about to make.


Action

When you have decided where you stand, that is when you take action. Come up with a plan. Don't just go rushing into anything. You need to know where you're going and what you're going to do. This is the moment for you to put your knowledge to the test. You can now go out and educate that people. Inform them about the cause that you are fighting for. Take a moment, follow your heart, and make your  mark, change the world.

No comments:

Post a Comment